Interested in becoming a CITS student?

By enrolling in UMD CITS you will:

  • Attend UMD courses taught by outstanding high school teachers and special presentations by UMD faculty;
  • Experience college-level, rigorous course expectations: CITS courses use UMD approved syllabi, textbooks, assessments, grading rubrics, and examinations;
  • Earn University of Minnesota credit while in high school (with a passing grade);
  • Receive UMD undergraduate student status, access UMD student email, internet, and UMD computer networks;
  • Access to UMD's library, including the tutoring center, online resources, software, and interlibrary loan;
  • Access UMD and CITS website resources; and
  • Have the opportunity to visit the UMD campus and become familiar with the UMD campus and faculty.

 Note: UMD credit may NOT be earned through independent study coursework.

Eligibility Guidelines

  • Be a high school Junior or Senior; and
  • Possess a cumulative 3.0 high school GPA or higher; or
  • Talk to your high school counselor to complete a Course Permission Form that will be reviewed by the UMD Registrar for enrollment consideration.
  • Students must also meet the pre-requisites for the following courses:
    • CHEM 1113 - Introduction to General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry I
    • CHEM 1153 - General Chemistry I
    • CHEM 1154 - General Chemistry Lab I
    • FR 1101 - Beginning French I
    • FR 1102 - Beginning French II
    • GER 1102 - Beginning German II
    • GER 1201 - Intermediate German I
    • GER 1202 - Intermediate German II
    • MATH 1250 - Precalculus Analysis
    • MATH 1296 - Calculus I
    • MU 1501 - Concert Band
    • PHYS 1001 - Introduction to Physics
    • SPAN 1102 - Beginning Spanish II
    • SPAN 1201 - Intermediate Spanish I
    • SPAN 1202 - Intermediate Spanish II
    • WRIT 1120 - College Writing 

*UMD makes the final determination on student eligibility.

How much does it cost to enroll in UMD CITS through my high school?

UMD CITS courses are FREE to students!

The UMD CITS program is supported by the State of Minnesota, the partnering school district, and the University of Minnesota Duluth. The student's participating school district pays for the tuition. 

How do I enroll?

Step 1: Students request enrollment in the course through their normal high school course registration window.

Step 2: 

  • School counselors must certify that each student has completed the appropriate high school coursework that meets the prerequisites for the UMD course. 
  • Participating high schools share student registration information with UMD College in the Schools program staff to register and enroll each student in MyU. Students must meet the course and program pre-requisites to be considered for enrollment. CITS students are enrolled as University of Minnesota non-degree students, and each student is assigned a University of Minnesota student ID.

How do I cancel a CITS course?

  • Students need to communicate their intent to cancel a CITS course to their CITS teacher and/or school counselor. 
  • After registration, the high school counseling staff will notify UMD CITS program staff of students who add or cancel a course prior to UMD’s course add/cancellation deadline. UMD CITS program staff will accordingly update the student’s enrollment in the MyU portal. 
  • Students may cancel a course without penalty within the deadlines established by the UMD Office of the Registrar and published on the UMD CITS webpage. Students typically continue enrollment in the high school course earning high school credit only.
  • Cancellation prior to UMD’s cancellation deadline results in erasure of the CITS course from the student’s UMD transcript and no charge to the school. If processed after the cancellation deadline, the course cancellation may result in a “W” (withdrawal) on the student‘s UMD transcript. 
  • If students transfer out of the course after the established deadline, they must officially cancel the course via an approved UMD petition or an “F” grade (failure to successfully complete the coursework) will automatically appear on their UMD transcript. A UMD CITS Petition Form must be submitted to UMD CITS program staff for any request to drop a course after the deadline.
  • If a student cancels a class within the established course cancellation deadline, the school district will not be billed for the student's tuition. If a student officially cancels at any time after the above deadline, no refunds are granted.

Maximum Credits Allowed Per Term

No undergraduate student may enroll for more than 20 credits per semester without college approval (15 for summer term). If you would like to enroll for over 20 credits, contact [email protected].

Tax Forms

Students enrolled in a CITS course will receive a Form W-9S and a Form 1098-T from the University of Minnesota. For more information about these forms, visit the University of Minnesota Tax Management website.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is provided by your high school counselor in collaboration with UMD CITS program staff. Contact [email protected]  if you are interested in learning more about degree programs at UMD and how your CITS courses meet the UMD Liberal Education Program requirements. 

Not planning on attending UMD after high school?

That's okay! Credit earned in the UMD CITS program has a successful transfer rate of 90% to other higher education institutions (Based on responses to annual CITS surveys).

Check out UMD's transferology to see how your credits might transfer.